[Debian-med-packaging] r5008 - in trunk/packages/hmmer/trunk/debian: . source

Charles Plessy plessy at debian.org
Sun Jul 11 10:01:12 UTC 2010

Le Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 11:02:29PM -0400, Eric Talevich a écrit :

> For HMMer: I'm not sure exactly how the change from PVM to MPI affects end
> users, but the package does include some other changes they should be aware
> of. Most notably:
>
> - 'hmmpfam' is renamed to 'hmmscan',
> - 'hmmcalibrate' is gone, no longer needed
> - programs that kept the same name generally take different options now
> - several new binaries are added
>
> Should that go in the NEWS file instead?

Hello everybody,

Actually, I wonder if we should not make a hmmer3 package, if this version
is not a drop-in replacement for hmmer2…

This would allow to support both versions and help researchers to migrate from
one to the other. But they would conflict on each other… One possible solution
would have to have packages named for instance hmmer2-core and hmmer3-core,
that would put the binaries in /usr/lib/hmmer2 and /usr/lib/hmmer3, and two
more packages named hmmer2 and hmmer3, mutually conflicting, that would provide
symbolic links in /usr/bin.

With this, researchers could have both versions installed, and access one or
the other by setting a proper PATH environment variable.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles