[Debian-med-packaging] Packaging Picard (libsam-java)

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Wed Jun 16 06:39:20 UTC 2010

Hi Shaun,

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 10:36:36AM -0700, Shaun Jackman wrote:
> I'm planning to package Picard (a.k.a libsam-java):
> http://picard.sourceforge.net/

Thanks for your effort.

> Unfortunately, there's a name clash with the MusicBrainz tagger:
> http://packages.debian.org/picard
>
> The binary packages will be named
> libsam-java
> picard-tools
>
> so I'm inclined to name the source package picard-tools. Sound good?

Naming is always a matter of taste.  You might alternatively consider a
name like picard-alignment (gene-picard, bio-picard or something like
this).  The rationale behind this is that if there is a name clash
people will probably assume that a package named picard-tools might
deliver some tools that will enhance the other package and will get
confused if there is something they do not understand.

Please consider this only as a hint and my personal opinion.  You are
the maintainer and have the choice.

Kind regards and thanks again for your commitment to Debian Med