[Debian-med-packaging] r7427 - trunk/packages/velvet/trunk/debian

Charles Plessy plessy at debian.org
Fri Aug 12 06:33:03 UTC 2011

Le Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 08:09:42AM +0200, Andreas Tille a écrit :
> On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 07:53:48AM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> > note that the switch from -O2 to -O3 is often a symptom that no Debian-specific
> > compiler flags are passed anymore, in particular -O2 -g and -Wall.  Our Policy
> > mandates in its section 10.1 that they ‘should’ be used.
> >
> > http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-files.html#s-binaries
>
> Is there any rationale behind this `should' if we are considering that
> dh is just doing "the right thing"(tm)?
>
> Additional question:  I somehow tend to keep on repackaging velvet to avoid
> the copyright hell of zlib.  I'm fine with leaving MetaVelvet as is.  What
> do you think?

Hi Andreas,

I think that the behaviour of dh, of not honoring the CFLAGS from the
environment, introduces a regression compared to previous build strategies.
Luckily, it seems that the Debhelper compatibility level 9 is designed to solve
that problem, see http://bugs.debian.org/544844.  In my experience, I have not
managed to use it correctly, and switched back at least one package to CDBS for
this reason.

For MetaVelvet, it looks that Velvet's copy evolves indendantly of the
original, which does not change on GitHub:

https://github.com/dzerbino/velvet/tree/master/contrib/MetaVelvet-v0.3.1/src
https://github.com/hacchy/MetaVelvet/tree/master/src

I think that the best is to build metavelvet from the velvet sources, and ship
it in /usr/bin or /usr/lib/velvet.

Cheers,

--
Charles