[Debian-med-packaging] Comments regarding filo_1.1+2011020401.1_amd64.changes

Charles Plessy plessy at debian.org
Sat Aug 13 00:46:11 UTC 2011

Le Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 07:28:22PM +0000, Alexander Reichle-Schmehl a écrit :

> Is there a specific reason, why this package is a) a native package and b)
> xz compressed?

Dear Alexander,

there is no upstream tarball for filo, only a GitHub repository.  I use the
dpkg native format, but indeed this package is not native to debian.  This is
the same for packages like ikiwiki, sbackup, mr, …

About xz compression, it makes the source package 10 % smaller, and the binary
package 50 % smaller.  XZ compression had an overhead of around 6 s on a total
dpkg-buildpackage time of around 100 s on my armel box.  Given that the
compression is done once, but that the compressed packages are replicated many
times, it looks like a good tradeoff to me.

Have a nice week-end,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,