[Debian-med-packaging] Tim - don't update the archive ... qiime Re: [med-svn] r7572 - trunk/packages/qiime

Steffen Möller steffen_moeller at gmx.de
Mon Aug 29 08:00:01 UTC 2011

Hello,

On 08/29/2011 08:44 AM, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Author: tille
> Date: 2011-08-29 06:44:13 +0000 (Mon, 29 Aug 2011)
> New Revision: 7572
>
> Removed:
>    trunk/packages/qiime/trunk_compatible/
> Log:
> Remove old directory
this is not really the old one but the one that Tim
worked with to be compatible with lucid, and hence
the one that was validated by him.

Apparently my renaming was not the best of all
possible ideas. Tim, a

svn copy trunk_compatible/ lucid_verified

should save your effort and is probably better.
The version on my laptop is slightly newer (Saturday)
than then one I have here (Friday).

@Andreas, qiime is about hundreds of thousands of
dollars, if not millions, for a single experimental setup. We
are running such ourselves with a neighbouring institute,
but not with Debian or Ubuntu. It was not a problem of
the packaging but with uclust, a problem that Tim has
helped to identify with his installation script. Nobody
then tried the second platform again because of time
pressure and that second cluster to matching the first
working one in size. We would now catch them with an easy
update to 1.3. But that would then need to be validated.

The installation is delicate, and so are its dependencies.
We need to get the FTBFS fixed, of course, but it should
all be through the hands of those with a direct feedback
from the users of those packages. This is Tim. If you are
using qiime in your institute also, then fine, but otherwise
please leave it all to him, even when he is packaging it
in some old-fashioned way for the time speaking.

Best,

Steffen