[Debian-med-packaging] Vcs-Fields: [Was: r7070 - in trunk/packages/bioperl/tags: . 1.6.901-1/debian]

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Fri Jun 17 12:42:30 UTC 2011

Hi Charles,

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 08:37:37PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> I am also very confused by the reorganisation on Alioth.  I wish that some
> changes would be reverted, but it looks unlikely.

:-(
I just can imagine that Alioth admins will honestly consider to break any
Vcs URL in packages in stable and oldstable.  This would seriosely suck. :-(

> In parallel, the removal of /svn/ or /git/ in the Vcs-Svn or Vcs-Git URL is not
> a consequence of the reorganisation of Alioth.  It is old errors that are
> propagated from cut and paste, including in our group policy.

Ahhh.

> Luckily, these
> URLs are corrected either by redirection, or by /svn/svn or /git/git symlinks.
> So correcting this can do only good.
>
> In summary:
>
> Vcs-Svn, Vcs-Git: old URLs work, but I do not know if it is only a transition.
> having /svn or /git in is buggy: these are only needed for the svn+ssh or
> git+ssh URLs, which are not the anonymous URLs expected for these fields.

However - these "buggy" URLs just drastically simplify the change to '+ssh'
because you just need to add one single string and not two.  Or would '+ssh'
work as well without the /svn resp. /git?

> Vcs-Browser: currently the old URLs are supported through redirection, and again
> I do not know if this will last or if they will be deprecated some day.  As an
> exception, the “?rev=0&sc=0” tails makes the redirection fail, and I think it
> would be good to remove them when there is opportunity.

So it might be a good idea to let a script remove all those “?rev=0&sc=0”
strings in trunk/debian/control files, right?

Kind regards