[Debian-med-packaging] Comments regarding mothur_1.15.0-1_amd64.changes

Charles Plessy plessy at debian.org
Wed Mar 30 05:12:02 UTC 2011

Le Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 11:03:54AM +0200, Andreas Tille a écrit :

> any volunteer to clarify this?

> On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 07:45:11PM +0000, Ansgar Burchardt wrote:
> >
> > according to debian/copyright, mothur is released under GPL-2+.  This
> > information is however not mentioned anywhere in the upstream tarball (in fact
> > the GPL is mentioned just in a single message in mothur.cpp).  Please document
> > where you take your license information from in case it is not included in the
> > tarball.
> >
> > In addition several files are released under BSD-like licenses.  Please
> > document this and include the copyright holder of these files as well.

Dear Ansgar,

I have proofread the copyright notices and licenses of Mothur.

 - In later versions, a LICENSE file indicates the GPL version 3, and this is confirmed
   in the upstream website: http://www.mothur.org/wiki/Mothur_license

 - I added to debian/copyright the files derived from the Clearcut software,
   released under a BSD-derived license.

 - I also added to debian/copyright two files under the MIT license (getopt_long.*).

 - When grepping for the word ‘copyright’, there are two false positives: Pschloss (an
   obvious typo), and ‘Copyright 2004 American Society for Microbiology’, which
   refer to a publication of this society, not to the file itself.  I have not
   mentionned them in debian/copyright.

If my team mates upload mothur 1.17.3 with the corrected debian/copyright file
I perpared, I hope that it will answer to all your concerns.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,