[Debian-med-packaging] Comments regarding mothur_1.15.0-1_amd64.changes

Tim Booth avarus at fastmail.fm
Wed Mar 30 09:53:28 UTC 2011

Hi Andreas,

> because you also worked on this package (so you might
> know some facts) and are interested.  Any help to make the Copyright
> more clear would be welcome.  (ftpmaster is obviosely working on the
> New queue for our packages - so lets support them actively)

I think all I heard was actually from you - your message to the Deb-Med
list at Wed, 2 Feb 2011 08:49:59 quoting Pat Schloss.  That was enough
to convince us to go ahead with packaging but I can see that the
statement from Pat is too weak for release into Debian (no GPL text
included in download, no code comments, no stipulation of GPL version
that applies, code copyright third parties with other licenses).

I think someone needs to mail Pat again and say exactly what is needed
to get into Debian and why it is worth his while doing so.  Shall I
volunteer?

By the way - Thanks for being considerate but don't worry about the BCC
thing - I suspect that the lack of spam on this e-mail account is down
to the excellent spam protection on FastMail rather than because I've
managed to keep the address secret all this time.

Cheers,

TIM

> Kind regards
>
>        Andreas.
>
> On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 07:45:11PM +0000, Ansgar Burchardt wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > according to debian/copyright, mothur is released under GPL-2+.  This
> > information is however not mentioned anywhere in the upstream tarball (in fact
> > the GPL is mentioned just in a single message in mothur.cpp).  Please document
> > where you take your license information from in case it is not included in the
> > tarball.
> >
> > In addition several files are released under BSD-like licenses.  Please
> > document this and include the copyright holder of these files as well.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Ansgar

To Err is human.
To Arrr is Pirate!