[Debian-med-packaging] Comments regarding mrbayes_3.1.2-1_amd64.changes

Andreas Tille tille at debian.org
Thu Mar 31 12:07:40 UTC 2011

Hi Alexander,

I agree that carb.r is a bit strange and probably there is no real harm
done if removed.  The only reference to a string "carb" is in
mrbayes.codewarrior - which probably could be removed as well for our
purposes.  Once you accepted the package (thanks for it): Should we wait
for a new version and rebuild the upstream source to strip this file.
My guess is that upstream would prefer to keep it in their tarball because
it seems of any use for Mac OS X.  However, it seems that upstream does
not release new versions in the near future (it is some kind of default
tool and definitely used by biologists, but development has stalled).

So should we do something about this or simply ignore the issue as "not
relevant enough to care for it"?

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 11:46:31AM +0000, Alexander Reichle-Schmehl wrote:
> Hi maintainer(s)!
>
> I'm going to accept your package, but please clarify what carb.r is doing.
> As that file has "*  Copyright . 1997-2002 Metrowerks Corporation.  All
> Rights Reserved." in it's header without further license grants, it seems
> to be non-free at a first glance.  However, that files doesn't seem to do
> anything.
>

> Best regards,
>   Alexander, FTP Assistant, feeling silly, that he nearly rejected a
>     package, for doing nothing in a non-free way

I do not think that you should feel silly.  It is hard to draw a
borderline.  Just tell us if we should consider removing those useless
files in some way.

Thanks for your work as ftpmaster