[Debian-med-packaging] r8642 - in trunk/packages/molphy: . trunk

Thorsten Alteholz debian-med at alteholz.de
Tue Nov 22 19:01:56 UTC 2011

Hi Andreas,

On Tue, 22 Nov 2011, Andreas Tille wrote:

> I'm not perfectly happy with the complete removal from SVN.  I do not
> have any strong feeling about molphy.  However, I fail to see what we
> win by just removing some files from SVN and asking people in a not to
> obvios way to check out old revisions.

in my opinion we gain a lot of clarity by really removing those files. If
a file is not available after checkout, nobody will be tempted to do
anything with that file. Although there might be other resources like the
README.status, those involve another step to get the needed information.
If it is not there, don't pay attention ...
Of course the other arguments like less space needed on HDD, less time to
checkout or update, and so on are valid as well.

Maybe we should change the wording of Comment: and more explicitly explain
the reasons for removing the files?

> In short: "Status: removed" in README.status is fine, but removing the
> last tags is questionable in my eyes (even if it does not hurt me so
> much that I would take any action to bring things back without asking).

Ok, I understand that tags are useful during active development and maybe
we should also note the last tag in README.status. But what is the
advantage of keeping tags after the trunk has been removed?
Removing a package from Debian normally means that nobody has any interest
in it. Why should somebody want to look at older versions of it? If it
gains interest again, one could start with the last version of the package
or checkout the listed revision. But who might be interested in tags?

    Thorsten