[Debian-med-packaging] qiime source contains binary without source

Tim Booth avarus at fastmail.fm
Mon Apr 16 14:50:00 UTC 2012

Hi Andreas,

I spotted this during a recent course but never got round to looking
into it.  I can tell you that King is used for visualising 3D plots
produced during some of the Qiime analyses, but I don't know if removing
it will stop that stage of Qiime from working or else if it just stops
you from viewing the plots.  My preference would be to report the bug
and leave it in for now (it violates Debian policy but not the software
license), but as my Qiime package has already diverged from the Debian
one it won't affect me directly at the moment.

As a handy 3D visualiser, King is probably a prime target for packaging
in any case.  I can try and do it next time I update Qiime.

Cheers,

TIM

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012, at 03:54 PM, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Hi Tim,
>
> when seeking a solution for Bug #668999 I stumbled upon
>
>    qiime/support_files/jar/king.jar
>
> which has no source in the qiime tarball.  I checked the
> source
>
>    http://kinemage.biochem.duke.edu/software/king.php
>    -->
>    http://kinemage.biochem.duke.edu/php/downlode.php?filename=/downloads/software/king/king.2.20.110601.src.zip
>
> and realised that it has a BSD / Apache like license which seems to be
> fine - but we need to strip the ling.jar file from the qiime upstream
> source.  I wonder whether you have any idea if this is used at all by
> qiime and we can simply strip it or is it used by qiime and we need to
> package it separately.
>
> In the case of simple stripping I can do this in one rush.  Otherwise
> we should probably open a bug report to not to forget the issue.
>
> Kind regards
>
>        Andreas.
>
> --
> http://fam-tille.de

Of course I'm a technophobe; I program computers for a living!