[Debian-med-packaging] What metadata could be gathered in debian/upstream (Re: r10557 - trunk/packages/ncbi-epcr/trunk/debian)

Charles Plessy charles-listes-med-packaging at plessy.org
Tue Apr 24 08:31:29 UTC 2012

Le Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 09:13:21AM +0200, Andreas Tille a écrit :

> I personally stick to the format which people agreed upon (policy,
> developers reference, DEPx) which has preference over something which is
> mentioned on some Wiki page (like debian/upstream).

It was agreed that these fields are optional, and it was a compromise.  Here is
a link to the last discussion.

  http://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2010/08/msg00230.html

It is not because these fields exist that we must use them, and that we can not
transfer the information somewhere else.  I think that we have a good
opportunity here, expecially because they are not yet machine-parsed (except by
the Perl team ?).

This is similar for the Homepage field in Debian source control files.  It will
be more difficult, but I hope that at the end of this project it can be
transferred as well.  If the Debian source control files were the place for
storing arbitrary upstream metadata, we would have the bibliographic references
in...

Cheers,

--
Charles Plessy