[Debian-med-packaging] Please upload: hhsuite, ffindex, blimps and sift

Steffen Möller steffen_moeller at gmx.de
Tue Feb 28 11:09:17 UTC 2012

Hello,

On 02/27/2012 09:15 PM, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 07:14:11PM +0100, Laszlo Kajan wrote:
>>> In the same line I would also consider a blimps-doc package from the
>>> www directory.
>> Thank you for the suggestions. Normally I would agree with you completely.
>>
>> blimps is dead upstream. The only purpose I can see for this package is to provide the required dependency for sift. I explained this further in
>> the debian/README.Debian and README.sources files. Unfortunately we have to minimize the effort here - I can not, and I think neither can Soon -
>> implement your ideas since blimps is sufficient for sift in its present form.
> OK, fine for me - thanks for the clearification.
There are quite a few of such classical tools that are somewhat deadish
but still classical. Rasmol comes to mind, but has been fairly well
substituted these days. This is all not unexpected given the way such
developments are funded.

I cannot say that it is my prime interest to find maintainers for such
legacy. But we should think about it. Once the science is done,
maintenance could (often) be performed by any software engineer. And we
as a Linux community may be doing not so badly in communicating demand
also for upstream maintenance.

Best,

Steffen