[Debian-med-packaging] Some questions about seq (Was: r11551 - in trunk/packages/seg/trunk/debian: . patches source)

Laszlo Kajan lkajan at rostlab.org
Thu Jul 5 12:09:38 UTC 2012

Hello Andreas!

Ah sorry I missed this email!

>> -lowcompseg (19973009.1) UNRELEASED; urgency=low
>> +seg (1994101801-1) UNRELEASED; urgency=low
>
> 1. At some point in time there was a decision to choose a name
>    longer than only three letters (which is a bit weak regarding
>    potential name space pollution.
>
>    I do not question your decision in principle but it would nice
>    to hear the motivation behind this step.

Ok, I totally understand. I did not know about the >3-letter-policy. But SEG is and old and well established tool, so I had the idea of not
renaming it.

BUT! I am not attached to the name particularly: what name do you (or Team) suggest? We used to call this 'lowcompseg' at one point.

> 2. I agree that versioning unversioned code is hard.  You decreased
>    the version number compared to the former choice and I also
>    wonder why.  Looking at the ftp download site the youngest file
>    is dated
>
>      genwin.h	3.5 kB	6/20/00 2:00:00 AM
>
>    So I would expect a versioning 20002006 rather than 199<something>.
>    Same as above:  You might have your reasons I do not question but
>    a short explanation might help letting other people know.
>
>    Remark: I personally always use 0.0.YYYYMMDD version numbers if
>    there is some need to invent a date based version to be easily
>    able to increase the version once upstream might decide to switch
>    to real version numbers.  I admit in this case chances are low that
>    this will ever happen - I'm just mentioning it as some general
>    information.

Indeed I considered looking at the youngest file but then decided to use the date of the newest record in the README file upstream seems to use
as change log.

Ok, so Andreas, I can not do better than I already have, I gave my best shot at the name and the version. I am not attached to either, so choose
(or someone from the Team) a better one if you can. Or tell me (or Team) what it should be, I can change it and then let you upload.

So can someone choose a name for the package?

Thanks, best regards,

Laszlo