[Debian-med-packaging] r11823 - trunk/packages/camitk/trunk/debian

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Wed Jul 18 11:17:23 UTC 2012

Hi Emmanuel,

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 12:05:33PM +0200, Emmanuel Promayon wrote:
> Thanks you for your quick and detailed answer.
>
> I would also like to apologize for my lack of knowledge in packaging
> and debian policy. Please do not hesitate to comment and tell me
> what I am doing wrong.

There is no point in apologizing - even long standing developers
sometimes fall into the pitfall of a restricted name space.

> Concerning the use of "imp" as a package name, "camitk-imp" seems a
> perfectly acceptable package name. I will change this.

Fine. Thanks.

> Concerning the application name, is there any policy concerning
> binary/application name. For example, would "/usr/bin/camitk-imp" be
> acceptable or is it better not to have any dash in the name (e.g.,
> camitkimp) ?

For sure dashes in names.  On my machine I have close to 1000 of these:

  $ ls /usr/bin | grep -- "-" | wc -l

The choice of the name does a bit depend from what your users might
expect.  In the past we had some cases for command line tools which were
used in private user scripts and needing to rename those is sometimes
hard to accept.  But if your users are fine with camitk-imp and the
same as package name I'd call this a perfect match.

> In libcamitk3-dev we have an application "/usr/bin/wizard", would it
> be better to prefix it with "camitk-" or "camitk"?

I think so.  Trying to avoid this kind of generic names is always a good
idea.

Kind regards