[Debian-med-packaging] would like some help getting started

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Thu Mar 15 10:11:41 UTC 2012

Hi Mike,

it's really great to realise that there are more people interested in
fis-gtm packaging and I really would like to support this attempt as
far as it concerns the Debian packaging of it.  Currently Luis Ibanez
is working on it.  If you want to read the full story of our work you
will find (very longish - so you are warned) mails here:

   http://lists.debian.org/debian-med/2012/02/threads.html

Short summary:  Luis who has good contacts to upstream tried to follow
the strategy to build the upstream source which was enriched by some
auto-generated files which are needed to avoid a depencency from a
running fis-gtm system (which is not yet packaged and thus we can not
yet Build-Depend from it).  For some reasons this turned out to be
quite complex because of the build system used.  So Luis decided to
rewrite the Build-System (as you obviosely noticed).

The last mail about this issue is

   http://lists.debian.org/debian-med/2012/03/msg00079.html

So far for the summary.  It was a very good idea to ask here on this
list which is also read by Luis and please keep on discussing here (or
at debian-med at lists.debian.org at your preference but in any case) in
public to make sure others will stay informed about current development.

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 08:49:41AM +0100, Mike Dupont wrote:
> Hi there,
> I pulled the packaging from svn,
>
> svn  co   svn://svn.debian.org/svn/debian-med/trunk/packages/fis-gtm
>
> dpkg-buildpackage is failing for the packages, and also the
> ./debian/get-orig-source is not really working,

I'm a bit busy to try.  Could you please be more verbose what
exactly did not worked (error messages??).

> can someone please provide me with a quick howto get started?
> In particular I am interested in how to build this thing from scratch, not
> as root and without using binaries, but pristine.

This is prefectly in line whith what Luis is currently trying.  Perhaps
you could fix the build system together?

> PS :
> I have started to patch the cmakified sources :
> https://github.com/h4ck3rm1k3/fis-gtm/commit/6edabcda9c391b5eb9e76d7702c58211c1fc1cbb
>
> I started a while back to compile gtm using strict and c++, there is alot
> of work there still to do.
> https://github.com/h4ck3rm1k3/FIS-GT.M/tree/cxxcompile

Many thanks for your interest and cooperation.  We in the Debian Med
team would be very happy to welcome you in the team because it sounds
very reasonable to have two people who know FIS GTM build system.  You
will get all my support if it comes to Debian packaging issues to get
the thing finally out as a package.

Kind regards