[Debian-med-packaging] Versioned Hmmer packaging (Was: planning (a) hsqldb transition(s))

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Wed May 2 12:39:10 UTC 2012

Hi Laszlo,

On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 01:40:23PM +0200, Laszlo Kajan wrote:
> * Ok, I will try to remember and make an hmmer2 'drop out' of my course here - I actually have it already:
>
>   https://rostlab.org/owiki/index.php/Packages # hmmer2 in that table
>
>   I will have the students review it and commit the debianization into the svn.

Great.

> * Naming the new hmmer (>3) package hmmer3 would be good to make users aware of the incompatibility. There are dependencies on hmmer in stable
> and testing, the same set. I doubt though that those deps in testing have all been updated to work with hmmer (>3). Rather some may well be
> broken because hmmer(<<3) is not compatible with hmmer(>3) and you can't just replace these with each other.

I guess that all those hmmer depending packages are in our SVN and could
/ should be updated to whatever dependency is correct.  We did not yet
recieved any bug report since the package is at version 3 - but this
does not mean much - I doubt that 50% of our users are aware of
reportbug and another 50% of the reportbug-aware users will be to shy to
report a problem.  So there perfectly might be some incompatibilities left.
I personally do not have any idea how to verify this.

>   Sure someone should investigate this, or get in touch with the maintainers of the dependent packages, but you can also play it safe and keep
> hmmer(<3) named hmmer and name the new hmmer(>3) package hmmer3. ==> I think I would favour this solution most.

Fine with me - just do whatever makes sense to you.

>   hmmer (>3) was packaged by the Debian Med team - any of the uploaders (Matthew, Nelson, Andreas, Charles, Eric): what do you think?

I think Matthew Vernon has lost interest in the package, Nelson is
closely watching the list but does not much releavnt packaging.  I
personally agree with changes in SVN and will have a look once you
declare the package(s) as read.  Charles might comment on this mail and
I hapve put Eric Talevich into CC - I have never read his name here on
our Debian lists - I just know him from hmmer (3.0-1) changelog entry

Kind regards