[Debian-med-packaging] Problems with Git handling in package grinder: upstream branch was missing

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Thu May 3 06:44:12 UTC 2012

Hi,

I wanted to update grinder to the latest upstream version and tried

   git import-orig --pristine-tar ../grinder_0.4.5.orig.tar.gz

I was told that branch upstream would be missing, created it via

   git branch upstream

and redid

   git import-orig --pristine-tar ../grinder_0.4.5.orig.tar.gz

I ended up without any debian/ directory and I remember that I was
previousely running in the very same problem but I can not find the
solution inside the archives.

Any clue

      Andreas.

PS: I *really* wonder why some of our Git repositories are ending
    up without an upstream branch which seems to cause this kind of
    trouble if people follow our group policy.

PPS: I never faced such kind of trouble when having only the debian/
     dir maintained in a Git repository and all this pristine-tar
     stuff can be ignored.