[Debian-med-packaging] Updating the praat package

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Sun May 6 15:51:59 UTC 2012

[nothing private in this mail so I cc
   debian-med-packaging at lists.alioth.debian.org
 I would prefer always communication via list rather in PM]

Hi Rafael,

I noticed that

$ debcheckout --user=tille praat
declared git repository at git+ssh://tille@git.debian.org/git/?p=debian-med/praat.git
git clone git+ssh://tille@git.debian.org/git/?p=debian-med/praat.git praat ...
Cloning into 'praat'...
fatal: '/git/?p=debian-med/praat.git' does not appear to be a git repository
checkout failed (the command above returned a non-zero exit code)

did not worked because of a wrong Vcs-Git string.  This is my default
way to checkout packages and thus I fixed it.

On Sun, May 06, 2012 at 04:46:41PM +0200, Rafael Laboissiere wrote:
> * Andreas Tille <tille at debian.org> [2012-05-06 12:49]:
>
> > Please consider me a Git beginner.  So chances are good that I mixed
> > something up.  Probably it is a good idea if I clone your latest commit
> > from scratch to my machine once you have finished the packaging of the
> > latest release.
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > I was not aware of git-dch (see above Git beginner) but from the
> > description it sounds very convinient.  It might help if you
> > remember me about this before you ask me for sponsering because
> > this is not my usual handling but I'm perfectly willing to adapt
> > (specifically because it sounds clever).
>
> Yes, cloning the repository is the best solution, not because of the
> HEAD/master mismatch that I mentioned, but because it is better to start
> from scratch when a repository has been migrated to git-buildpackage.
>
> I already committed my changes.  This is the list of commits:
>
>     aaab0ed Imported Upstream version 5.3.2
>     741de41 Merge branch 'upstream'
>     0221a5d Imported Upstream version 5.3.14
>     f514441 Merge tag 'upstream/5.3.14'
>     53d0124 Bump Standards-Version to 3.9.3 (no changes needed)
>     cd9bc47 debian/rules: Drop obsolete inclusion of patchsys-quilt.mk
>     4dcc64a Drop obsolete patch, which was not beeing applied, anyway
>     04b178e Add list of exclusions for Git
>     78e75cc Add debian/upstream file
>     7b66ff1 Update upstream changelog file
>     2b912ed debian/copyright: Converted to DEP5 machine-readable format
>
> Below is what you have to do to clone the repository, generate
> debian/changelog, and add the necessary tags to the repository:
>
>     ## Clone the repository
>     gbp-clone git+ssh://tille@git.debian.org/git/debian-med/praat.git
>
>     ## Generate debian/changelog
>     cd praat
>     git-dch --release
>
> [Note that not all commit log messages I listed above will appear in
> debian/changelog, thanks to the use of the tag "Git-Dch: Ignore".
> However, there will be a spurious entry "Imported Upstream version
> 5.3.2".  Please, remove it.]

I immediate start to like git-dch ... :-)
(It also is featuring my change I mentioned above.)

>     ## Commit the changelog
>     git add debian/changelog
>     git ci -m "Debian release 5.3.14-1"

$ git ci -m "Debian release 5.3.14-1"
git: 'ci' is not a git command. See 'git --help'.

Did you mean this?
        dch

Hmmm, I guess

$ git commit -m "Debian release 5.3.14-1"
[master a4b134f] Debian release 5.3.14-1
 1 file changed, 14 insertions(+)

will do something similarly reasonable.

>     ## Build the package, add the necessary tag and upload it:
>     git-buildpackage --git-tag
>     debrelease # or whichever command you use
>
>     ## Finally, push everything
>     git push
>     git push --tags

Done.  The only open question that remains to me is why the
commits are not propagated to the commit mailing list - I
checked in the repository on alioth:

$ cat /git/debian-med/praat.git/config
[core]
        repositoryformatversion = 0
        filemode = true
        bare = true
        sharedrepository = 1
[hooks]
        mailinglist = debian-med-commit at lists.alioth.debian.org
        subjectdesc = praat
        cia-project = Debian-Med

so this should work.  Any clue?

Kind regards and thanks for updating the package