[Debian-med-packaging] GNU Health [1.8.0] (new version)

Dmitry Smirnov onlyjob at member.fsf.org
Tue Feb 19 05:53:22 UTC 2013

Dear Emilien,

Thank you for having a look at "gnuhealth" package.

I've noticed that upstream released new version [1.8.0]: according to its
changelog it may be compatible with Tryton-2.6 that we have in "experimental".

Also in November 2012 with your commit to "gnuhealth" repository you've
managed to overwrite some of my valid changes, notably:

	debian/control:
	 * "Standards-Version: 3.9.4" (current version) to 3.9.3
	 * "debhelper (>= 9)" to "debhelper (>= 8.0.0)"

	debian/compat:
	 * 9 --> 8

Please note that according to debhelper(7), v9 "is the recommended mode of
operation". Your commit have no information why you downgraded
debhelper/compat and standards neither it is clear what's the benefit (if any)
or intention behind it.

Detailed commit messages describing *why* the change has been made are very
useful for team work.

Also I'm a bit concerned regarding another change that you've made to
debian/copyright:

	-           2011-2012 Sebastián Marró <smarro at thymbra.com>
	-           2008-2012 Sebastian Marro <smarro at gnusolidario.org>
	+           2008-2012 Sebastian Marró <smarro at gnusolidario.org>

It looks like you've merged unique contributor's copyright statements derived
from source files and changed his name in process. Could you please explain
how you've decided on particular spelling of his name (and surname)??
It looks inconsistent to me: either you have to spell his name using latin
characters only or otherwise. I don't understand why you dropped non-latin
character from his name but kept non-latin spelling of surname...

Also I'm concerned about merging such copyright statements. Author used two
different emails during different years of his contribution. I think from
legal point of view this information may be significant if he was contributing
as employee (as in theory employer may claim the rights for this
contribution). IMHO you can only speculate regarding which statement is less
significant and therefore risk loosing valuable information as well as
secondary contact email. I see no harm in keeping both statements (as well as
keep original name spelling), but it would be nice if another team member
could comment on this issue...

All the best,
 Dmitry Smirnov
 GPG key : 4096R/53968D1B

---

Most people work just hard enough not to get fired and get paid just
enough money not to quit
        -- George Carlin