[Debian-med-packaging] BLAT license

Andreas Tille tille at debian.org
Thu Mar 13 21:15:08 UTC 2014

Hi Jim,

On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 01:57:39PM -0700, Jim Kent wrote:
> It is a short license.  It does not forbid modification, and we got no
> problem with that.  We do want to _check_ on redistribution to make sure
> that it is clear we reserve commercial licensing rights.
>
> Hopefully this clears things up, but if not let me know, and we can add a
> few more words to the license if you like.

I think this is the problematic part:  How do you practically want to
check the redistribution via Debian?  Even if the non-free section is
not official Debian the package would available from the Debian mirrors
and from several potential derivatives.  Surely it is no dedicated
distribution of BLAT but the license is not totally clear whether we are
allowed to do what we intend to do (distributing BLAT in source and
binary form) even if it is the users obligation to read the license text
and check whether he is allowed to use the program.

Kind regards

      Andreas.