[Debian-med-packaging] Policy regarding gbp pq

Kevin Murray kevin at kdmurray.id.au
Thu Oct 1 09:17:32 UTC 2015

Andreas,

On 10:46 01/10, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Hi Kevin,
>
> On Thu, Oct 01, 2015 at 06:39:58PM +1000, Kevin Murray wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > What's the team policy regarding gbp pq? I've started using it and I really
> > like it, particularly since I'm quite comfortable doing rather complex things
> > in git. However, it can re-write the hand-made quilt patch queues.
>
> I recently have heard about pq in a DebConf BoF.  I have never used it
> before.

It's quite nice, I'm happy to write my workflow up for the wiki/policy page as
time permits.

> > A couple of questions:
> >
> >   - Is gbp pq allowed?
>
> Do we have powers to forbid???

s/allowed/discouraged/ :)

> >   - So long as patch contents and metadata are not modified, is it rude or bad
> >     practice to change a patch at all? (e.g., gbp pq often uses subtly
> >     different patch formats to quilt)
> >   - Is there some set of arguments or config options to gbp pq which modifies
> >     the quilt-based patches the least?
> >
> > I'd love to keep using gbp pq, but not if I end up annoying anyone :).
>
> I'd say try if it fits your workflow and if anybody might feel annoyed
> we will tell you.

Ok, I shall. I will maintain my habit of pushing to a branch that isn't master
(normally daube/<something>) until I've made contact with the list about a
package, so that I don't mess up other people's master.

Cheers,
Kevin

---
Kevin Murray

GPG pubkey: http://www.kdmurray.id.au/static/A4B4EE6A.asc
FPR: 656C 0632 1EAB 2C3F 3837  9767 17C2 8EB1 A4B4 EE6A