[Debian-med-packaging] Adding libkmc-dev to the kmc package

Kevin Murray kevin at kdmurray.id.au
Fri Oct 2 00:04:08 UTC 2015

Hi Sascha,

On 23:33 01/10, Sascha Steinbiss wrote:
> Hi Kevin,
>
> >> The kmc package is intended by upstream to be usable as a C++ library. So, I've
> >> added a C++ libkmc-dev package which distributes the headers and a static
> >> archive. This work has been pushed to daube/libkmcdev of the git repo on
> >> git.debian.org.
> >
> > Thanks! I will take a look later when I have some free time off work.
>
> Looks good. I just built the package from that branch with no build issues:
> gbp buildpackage -uc -us --git-pbuilder --git-ignore-branch --git-upstream-tag=upstream/2.2
> […]
>
> However, the static archive looks a bit small in my build:
> [vagrant at debian-8:/vagrant/kmc] $ dpkg -c ../libkmc-dev_2.2+dfsg-2_amd64.deb | grep libkmc.a
> -rw-r--r-- root/root         8 2015-10-01 22:16 ./usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libkmc.a
>
> It looks like KMC_LIB_OBJS was empty at build time, and my static archive seems to have ended up empty as it was build by:
> ar rcs libkmc.a
> ranlib libkmc.a

Doh! That is an issue with my patch to the makefile. Fixed and pushed. (and
libkmc.a now has something in it)

> >> I've used gbp pq to manage patches, and it made some automatic changes to the
> >> patch queue. So, please review the patch queue, and if any of the changes annoy
> >> you, I'll revert them and use quilt.
> >
> > Uh... I'm afraid I don't have much experience with that tool but will
> > read the documentation and let it convince me ;)
>
> Ok, I have the same feelings about it that Andreas has. I probably will be sticking with quilt.

OK, and that sounds fair. Let me know if my use of gbp pq ever annoys you and
I'll revert.

Also, am I OK to merge the daube/libkmcdev branch into master? I kept it in a
separate branch initially so I didn't pollute master until I'd made contact.

Cheers,
Kevin

---
Kevin Murray

GPG pubkey: http://www.kdmurray.id.au/static/A4B4EE6A.asc
FPR: 656C 0632 1EAB 2C3F 3837  9767 17C2 8EB1 A4B4 EE6A