[Debian-olpc-devel] squeak/etoys (Re: Fwd: sugar)

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Apr 2 12:12:33 UTC 2008

On 02.04.2008, at 13:24, Holger Levsen wrote:
> Hi José,
>
> On Wednesday 02 April 2008 09:58, José L. Redrejo Rodríguez wrote:
>> About the etoys packaging:
>> - My intention is packaging e-toys as a squeak-image, and doing the
>> same
>> with other squeak images that are around. So, etoys should provide
>> squeak-image, squeak-image-3.10 should provide squeak-image ,
>> squeakland-image should provide squeak-image, educarex-image should
>> provide squeak-image, and so on.
>> - No one of these images can go to Debian yet, as the relicencing
>> process of the image has not finished,
>> and thus, they are not DFSG
>> compatible yet. I'm afraid that won't happen before 8 or 9 months.
>

> I thought the etoys/squeak image OLPC uses was free by now? (And
> even free as
> in DFSG..)
>
> CC:ing Bert Freudenberg to get feedback from squeak upstream :-)

Note that I am an external contractor for VPRI so I cannot speak on
their behalf (that would be the job of Kim Rose, VPRI's executive
director). But here is my take:

The OLPC etoys version is developed by the Viewpoints Research
Institute (see vpri.org), a non-profit organization headed by Alan
Kay. He was the boss of the original Squeak group at Apple, took
Squeak to Disney, later to HP, and then to VPRI. VPRI negotiated with
Apple to relicense the core under Apache 2.0, and they collected
agreements to use external contributions under MIT (though the vast
majority of code was authored by Alan's employees). They now release
the OLPC etoys.image under Apache2.0/MIT which is perfectly compatible
with DFSG, so in my understanding it can go into Debian now.

- Bert -