[Debian-olpc-devel] Fwd: sugar

Jordan Mantha mantha at ubuntu.com
Thu Apr 3 06:32:38 UTC 2008

Thanks for the CC Jani,

As the "squeak guy" in Ubuntu I'd like to take this opportunity to say
that I would love to see as much collaboration with Debian as possible.
My particular problem is that I'm not a squeak user so I don't even know
what to test sometimes or what "typical users" would like. I would
personally like to hand off looking after squeak in Ubuntu to somebody
more qualified. There seem to be a few good squeak bug reporters in
Ubuntu and I've thought of forming a Squeak Team to look after it
properly. Perhaps some joint Debian/Ubuntu team could be worked out.

As to the Ubuntu 8.04 packages, as José has pointed out there are some
issues with my 3.9-8 packages. The browser plugin doesn't seem to work
very well on 64-bit machines and it is perhaps not as "desktop
friendly". They are based off the squeak.org Debian repo packages that
Matej Kosik is maintaining as I was unaware José's squeak-vm package
until after I'd already done a lot of work on the squeak.org packages
and had been working with Matej and Lex Spoon for a while on them.

Since the current stable release of squeak VM is 3.9-8 I used that. As
far as I know there is no official 3.9-12 release and the Debian package
is just a svn snapshot, which made me a little nervous for our Long Term
Support release. My plan was to try to get ahold of José during the 8.10
development cycle and get things worked out.

The 3.9-12 squeak-vm did not work at all on 64bit for me. It just
segfaulted, whereas my 3.9-8 packages (which include image and source
packages) at least seem to work other than the plugin. My guess from
reading José's comments below is that there must be some bug that was
making it segfault for me rather than truly not supporting 64bit. I only
have one 64bit machine to test on unfortunately and didn't have a lot of
time because of our imminent release.

So that's why I went with 3.9-8 packages for Ubuntu 8.04. Unfortunately,
I also inadvertently also included the epoch from the squeak.org
packages which is going to be a problem for syncing between Debian and
Ubuntu. We'll have to work that out. I for sure want Ubuntu to stick as
close as possible to Debian.

-Jordan