[Debian-olpc-devel] 'rainbow' uploaded to mentors.debian.net

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Sat Aug 29 09:52:27 UTC 2009

On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 05:18:43AM -0400, Luke Faraone wrote:
>On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 17:29, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:
>

>> If you want help, then just say so: I should know cdbs as I develop
>> it!
>>
>> If you want to continue working on your own then feel free to do so -
>> my help is just a friendly offer :-)
>

>Okay. I've pushed my work so far to
>git://git.debian.org/collab-maint/rainbow.git.

Great!  I take that (and the fact that you've used cdbs) as you wanna
play with me by my rules :-D

>Right now my package installs byte-compiled Python files in
>/usr/local/.

/usr/local are reserved for the local admin - packages are not allowed
to mess in there!

>I'd like to use python-support, but I don't know how to do that in CDBS
>in addition to using the CDBS makefile rule.

I suggest patching Makefile to comment out python calls, and then
include python-distutils.mk and let that cdbs snippet take care of
proper Python handling (that snippet needs hints in debian/control and
DEB_PYTHON_SYSTEM set - tell me if you need guidance about those).

For patching, it is best to *not* just patch directly: isolate the
change as a quilt patch, and include patchsys-quilt.mk.  I must admit
that I never really use the quilt tool to generate such patches -
instead I edit the files directly, generate the patch using "git diff >
debian/patches/101_some_patch.patch", and revert changes again using
"git reset --hard HEAD".

Have a look at some other quilt-using package - e.g.
git://git.debian.org/collab-maint/sugar - and consider copying my
debian/patches/README and follow that mini-policy.

>>I fail to understand what man pages have to do with this.
>

>Sorry, should have broken off into a separate thread. I was wondering
>whether you would upload a package if it didn't have manpages for all
>of its binaries. (and was therefore not lintian clean)

Ah, ok.

Personally I am lazy about including manpages.  But really that is bad,
as Debian Policy for some time now has mandated them.

So yes, we really should fix that issue before initial release.

If the programs provide a --help option, then the smart tool to use for
generating manpages these days are help2man.

Why do you set DEB_MAKE_MAKEFILE - you seem to use the default value?

  - Jonas