[Debian-olpc-devel] Backtraces while using sugar(-emulator)

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Tue Jan 13 22:11:57 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 07:40:40PM +0100, Sascha Silbe wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 08:05:47PM -0500, Luke Faraone wrote:
>> Sugar works very well when all the dependencies are met and the
>> system behaves as it expects (read: Fedora, OLPC XO OS), Debian is of
>> course going to have some sugar bugs.
>
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 02:07:05PM +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>
>>> Is Sugar really that broken? Somehow I cannot imagine all those kids
>>> being so happy with it (as I get the impression from the mails
>>> posted on the sugar development mailing lists) if it constantly
>>> breaks apart for me...
>
> So you're both suggesting that most of the bugs I'm hitting are in
> some way or another Debian-specific? Then it would indeed seem to be
> best to report it to Debian (and possibly upstream as well).

Not exactly.

I recommend to report bugs to whatever distro you are using.

If you use jhbuild then report bugs to Sugarlabs that maintain that
tool.

If you use Debian packages on Debian, then file bugreports to Debian.

If you use Ubuntu packages on Ubuntu, then file bugreports to Ubuntu.

If you use Debian packages on Ubuntu or any other derivative, then feel
free to file bugreports to Debian, but make sure (as you really should
always do) clearly tell what is your exact combination of package
repositories and what was installed from where.

Ubuntu _mostly_ uses Debian packages, but not entirely. And also, Ubuntu
use only the _source_ packages which are then recompiled, so in reality
new/other library problems may occur on their derivation that they need
to weed out before burdening Debian with potentially shared bugs.

>> To discover those bugs we need someone playing with the packages and
>> reporting the bugs, which we have had little of until you came along.
> I got quite frustrutated trying to get Sugar to work, but your
> positive response is quite encouraging, thanks!

Glad to help.

Naturally my hope is to encourage you so much that eventually you will
join the team and generally help maintain these packages used in the
.deb world ;-)

(...and no, you do *not* need to be an official Debian developer!)

  - Jonas

- --