[Debian-olpc-devel] Restructuring Git structure (Was: Anyone working on packaging?sugar-turtleart-activity )

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Tue Mar 31 01:11:24 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 12:05:51AM +0100, Holger Levsen wrote:
>On Dienstag, 31. März 2009, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>> I see no reason to subgroup Sugar packages.
>
>My reason is that I'd find it easier to add new packages. Creating a
>new directory in an existing repository to me feels like a lower
>barrier than introducing a new repo just to try something out / to get
>started.

Current structure:

   pkg=sugar-some-activity
   cd /git/collab-maint
   ./setup-repository $pkg $pkg Debian packaging

Proposed new structure:

   pkg=sugar-some-activity
   cd /git/collab-maint/sugar
   mkdir -p $pkg.git
   GIT_DIR=$pkg.git git init-db --shared
   echo "$pkg Debian packaging" > $pkg.git/description
   chmod a+x "$pkg.git/hooks/post-update"

I honestly do not understand what you find easier in using an unusual
structure!

>> It might even break some Git assumptions (e.g. gitweb) if not
>> following what seems to me to be the basic structure:
>> <accessgroup>/<git_repository>
>
>I guess I don't know git well enough, but can it work with a another
>subdirectory?

I do not know and I do not care as I see no benefit in finding out.
Don't discuss this part further before convincing me that there is a
real benefit, please.

Thanks for your interest in lowering the barrier to entry,

  - Jonas

- --