[Debian-olpc-devel] Running Debian on an XO

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Tue Nov 3 10:56:53 UTC 2009

G'day Jonas,

The "olpc-update debian" used to work, but I'm not surprised if it
doesn't now.  I can investigate that if you can tell me which OLPC build
was used to update from.  rsync://updates.laptop.org/build-debian/root/
contains the root filesystem, so it should have worked.

DebXO has replaced the "olpc-update debian" method.
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/DebXO

Also, as far as I recall debootstrap does not currently prepare a system
with the necessary components for it to boot on an XO-1, so some
unofficial mirrored result of a debootstrap is all that is available.
Additional work is needed.  xodist includes this work.  A file
/boot/olpc.fth is required, and a kernel with the XO-1 specific patches.

Is there anything we can do to facilitate improvements to debootstrap or
the packaging of xodist in debian?

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/