[Debian-olpc-devel] [Sugar-devel] [pkg-fso-maint] Sugar on OpenMoko Freerunner

David Van Assche dvanassche at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 03:54:43 UTC 2009

I'm sure u can get around the enter name and password thing by giving
control directly to mission control, via telepathy, and local link
xmpp, or anonymous xmpp if u wanna use a xmpp server... but seems like
generally telepathising the openmoko  would be fun and make sense for
all its comm capabilities. Someone built a pretty decent openmoko
chat/voip/video client for the openmoko using python bindings, or was
ir for
 maemo..

Hhmm, actually looking a bit  at the openmoko apps, it seems there is
alreafy a ton of telepathy based stuff for it,Just out of
curiosity.... people I've spoken to all said android based phones are
nicer to hack on than freerunner/maemo... What's you're opinion. If
tou were forced to use just one platform.... which would u chooose. I
wanna get something to play/hack on, but I'm unsure what I should go
for...

kind regards,
Daifd Van Assche

n Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 1:26 AM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:
> Hi Arne (and others),
>
> On Tue, Nov 03, 2 009 at 05:50:51PM +0100, arne anka wrote:
>>>
>>> I needed to temporarily hack the Sugar-toolkit library to not run the
>>> initial what-is-your-name window in fullscreen, to allow a virtual keyboard
>>> to appear - as the device have no interface for a real keyboard.
>>

>> i don't knwo exactly, what that window is supposed to do, but if it
>> addresses multiple users, it is probably unnecessary on the fr (that's, what
>> nodm is for comparedto other desktop managers, forcing you to login)
>
> I do use nodm - the issue is Sugar-specific: When logging in for the first
> time ever, the user is asked to personalize ccount by providing a name
> and picking a color for the XO avatar.
>
> It made good sense for the Dynabook concept which Sugar originally was
> designed for (materialized as OLPC XOs a.k.a. "the $100 laptop project"),
> but for better support of general *nix systems it makes sense to me to only
> ask for a name if "getent passwd" does not contain a fullname.  Hmm, if none
> of the cool developers capture this lazy comment, I should probably file a
> bugreport at Sugarlabs. :-)
>

>>> ...oh, and also - unrelated to Sugar - I need to make the phone stack on
>>> the device actually work: currently a dialog pops up to unlock my SIM card
>>> but I still cannot receive or initiate phone calls. :-P
>>

>> sounds like you got ophonekitd installed.
>> you should look for the shr-[contacts|dialer|messages] packages.
>
> Possibly.
>
> I finally got around to subscribing to your mailinglist now, and this issue
> is probably better suited only at that list, so I will repost there.
>
> For the context of this thread it was only meant as a joke: I can run Sugar
> on the gadget, but not yet use it as a phone. :-)
>

> Kind regards,
>
>  - Jonas
>
> --
> * Jonas Smedegaard - idealist & Internet-arkitekt
> * Tlf.: +45 40843136  Website: http://dr.jones.dk/
>
>  [x] quote me freely  [ ] ask before reusing  [ ] keep private

Ted Turner  - "Sports is like a war without the killing." -
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/ted_turner.html