[Debian-olpc-devel] lenny (debian.jones.dk): broken metacity

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Thu Nov 5 20:21:07 UTC 2009

Hi Sascha,

On Thu, Nov 05, 2009 at 08:46:03PM +0100, Sascha Silbe wrote:
>The Sugar Debian packages you built for lenny are currently broken
>(at least when trying to upgrade from 0.82):
>
>root at aquarium:~# aptitude dist-upgrade -VD
>[...]
>The following packages have unmet dependencies:
>   libmetacity0: Depends: metacity-common (< 1:2.23) but
>1:2.26.0-3.0.0jones1 is to be installed.

You need to uninstall libmetacity0.

Probably you installed Gnome using apt-get (or using debian-installer),
which did not set the autoinstall flag for that library, causing
aptitude to not be able to cleverly figure out this removal by itself.

Try run aptitude in fullscreen mode to navigate around (e.g. use "b" to
go to broken dependencies, then "enter" to dive into details and at the
bottom "enter" on top of reverse dependencies, to check what pulled in
some problematic package).

Aptitude is _very_ powerful, but is half broken when not properly
educated about which parts of your system you _explicitly_ want
installed.

What I normally do when installing or taking over administration of a
Debian system is to first go into fullscreen aptitude, press "M"
(capital "m" - as in "NOT manual") on top of installed packages, and
then go through all the packages that will then get uninstalled and mark
with lowercase "m" the ones that I explicitly want to keep.  It takes
few hours the first time you do it on a desktop installation, but you
will benefit in the long run - also from learning a *lot* about what
actually makes up a full installation.

Sidetracking - hope it is useful nevertheless :-)

  - Jonas