[Debian-olpc-devel] lenny (debian.jones.dk): broken metacity

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Thu Nov 5 22:57:56 UTC 2009

On Thu, Nov 05, 2009 at 11:06:13PM +0100, Sascha Silbe wrote:
>On Thu, Nov 05, 2009 at 10:44:39PM +0100, Sascha Silbe wrote:
>
>>Even if I manually install metacity first it breaks:
>[...]
>
>Found the culprit (using the interactive mode of aptitude I've last
>used several years ago):
>python-gnome2-desktop (official lenny, dependency of sugar-0.86)
>depends on "libmetacity0 (>= 1:2.22.0)".
>
>So I guess python-gnome2-desktop needs to be rebuilt against your
>version of metacity?

Damn - you were quicker than me :-)

Yes, you are right.  But even better if a newer python-gnome2-desktop
could be backported, as it provides python-rsvg as an isolated binary
package, allowing a much smaller installation.

Also sugar-0.86 depends on python-gconf which is unavailable in Lenny.
I have a moment ago started backporting the chain of packages needed for
that (just finished gobject-introspection while writing now, still
pending is pygobject and then gnome-python itself).  But perhaps
python-gconf is actually available in Lenny, hidden in some other
package (similar to python-rsvg formerly hidden in
python-gnome2-desktop) so I can simply add a fallback in sugar-0.86.
Need to investigate that...

  - Jonas