[Debian-olpc-devel] lenny (debian.jones.dk): broken metacity

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Sun Nov 8 11:13:41 UTC 2009

On Sun, Nov 08, 2009 at 11:46:54AM +0100, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
>On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 10:52, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:

>>> Same result as for 0.86 (installs fine, fails on gio import).
>>
>> *sigh*
>>
>> This means Sugarlabs chose as early as the 0.84 cycle to rely on
>> funky new features causing headaches for existing distros (and no, I
>> am not talking about "several years old releases" as as Debian can be
>> at its worst: Lenny is not _that_ old yet). :-(
>
>The GNOME platform is converging quickly to our needs, staying with
>old releases of the platform components means we not being able to do
>more with less resources.
>
>But I do realize it's very important for us to stick to an old and
>stable platform, it's a hard decision to make.

Thanks for your comments.  I can imagine how it's a tough decision to
make.

Just whining a bit about it here from the standpoint of backporting.
Generally I am quite happy about the choices you make, and this one I
also see no problm with for normal use - only when trying to backport it
is tough.

...or it *was* tough.  I haven't heard complaints yet from Sascha or
others, so off course naïvely assume that my backporting efforts are now
succesful ;-D

  - Jonas