[Debian-olpc-devel] Sugar on Debian

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Thu Nov 12 21:19:16 UTC 2009

Hi Haris (and others),

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 06:14:00PM +0700, ahmad haris wrote:
>I found this error message when I installing debian without
>gnome/desktop, then installing sugar.
>
>/etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc: line 5" /usr/bin/X11/X: No such file or
>directory
>
>Is anything wrong when I install sugar?

Looks like you are missing xorg.

Until very recently, you would not get a proper working Sugar
environment if only following strict dependencies but ignoring
recommendations.

A common way to accidentally not respect recommendations is if using
"apt-get".  Use "aptitude" instead - that is the official command-line
Debian package install tool - not (despite _lots_ of misguided users and
developers) apt-get!

I say "until very recently" as the latest release of sugar-0.86 changes
the binary package names and now provides "sucrose-0.86" which should
ensure a fully working Sugar even if only respecting strict
dependencies.

...but even then, that new package does not ensure that xorg is
installed.  I will make sure to fix that in the next release.

In other words, use one of the following commands to install sugar:

aptitude install sucrose-0.86 xserver-xorg

aptitude install sugar-0.84 xserver-xorg

The 0.84 branch of sugar have not yet shifted to the new packaging
scheme, due to other problems: there was recently a new package release
which I included, and for the Debian packaging I recently shifted to a
new packaging format which allows bzip2-compressed tarballs instead of
needing to recompress them.  Unfortunately my build environment chokes
on that very combination of new packaging format and bzip2-compressed
tarballs, so I am waiting for fixes to that problem...

Just out of curiosity: On which distribution release are you trying to
install Sugar?  Plain Debian Lenny with my unofficial backport of sugar
on top? Plain Debian Sid? Some other distribution (e.g. BlankOn)?

You are welcome no matter the environment you are using.  It just helps
debugging tremendously knowing the environment of the problematic cases.

Kind regards,

  - Jonas