[Debian-olpc-devel] 'rainbow' uploaded to mentors.debian.net

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Wed Nov 18 11:04:39 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 07:56:49PM -0500, Luke Faraone wrote:
>On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 13:58, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:
>
>> That was the Python part. The makefile is still used for compiling
>> the NSS library, and you need to ensure that Debian Policy §10.1 is
>> respected.  As an example, upstream use -O3 for a security-related
>> library, and without being an expert in the area it is my
>> understanding that optimizations stronger than -O2 has a higher risk
>> of producing wrong code on unusual architectures like hppa.
>>

>I'm not too familiar with it either. Michael: is there any particular
>reason for using -O3 on normal systems?

Please beware that the -O3 optimization was an *example* - my main point
is to warn about relying on simple makefiles properly handling all the
nitty gritty details required/recommended/encouraged to do in Debian.

>>> The only reason I had to hand-code was because the same structures
>>> you referenced didn't build a usable package when I attempted to use
>>> them. I more than welcome any changes you would suggest to get these
>>> defaults to work without odd hacks.
>>>
>>  I believe that now after you've moved the Python code to a
>> policy-compliant python-* package you can drop the
>> DEB_PYTHON_MODULE_PACKAGES line from the rules file and still produce
>> the exact same result.
>>

>Removing the line caused debuild to die with:
> dh_install: python-rainbow missing files (usr/lib/python*), aborting
>
>Once I removed usr/lib/python* from python-rainbow.install, the packages
>built, but python-rainbow did not include the Python code.

What else changed during build? Did distutils rules get invoked at all?
If it did, where did it install its files (hint: probably somewhere
below debian/tmp)?

Perhaps try the trick mentioned in the NEWS file of cdbs. But don't just
do it blindly - please try to understand what is the logic behind it.

I generally do my best to *not* provide you bulletproof solutions, but
inspirations on how to move on and both improve the concrete packaging
and also learn more.

Regards,

  - Jonas