[Debian-olpc-devel] 'rainbow' uploaded to mentors.debian.net

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Wed Nov 18 17:51:34 UTC 2009

[dropped Michael Stone as cc]

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 09:13:40AM -0500, Luke Faraone wrote:
>On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 06:04, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:
>
>> Please beware that the -O3 optimization was an *example* - my main
>> point is to warn about relying on simple makefiles properly handling
>> all the nitty gritty details required/recommended/encouraged to do in
>> Debian.
>>

> I checked the build logs. As part of the build,
>
>dpkg-buildpackage: set CFLAGS to default value: -g -O2
>dpkg-buildpackage: set CPPFLAGS to default value:
>dpkg-buildpackage: set LDFLAGS to default value: -Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions
>dpkg-buildpackage: set FFLAGS to default value: -g -O2
>dpkg-buildpackage: set CXXFLAGS to default value: -g -O2
>[...]
>cc -std=gnu99 -fPIC -W -Wformat -Wall -Wundef -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-qual
>-Wcast-align -Wwrite-strings -Wsign-compare -Wmissing-noreturn -Wextra
>-Wstrict-aliasing=2 -Wunsafe-loop-optimizations -MMD -MP -g -O2 -g -Wall -O2
>-c -o nss-rainbow.o nss-rainbow.c
>
>It looks like the flags specified in nss/Makefile are being overridden by
>CDBS to values compliant with Debian policy.

Ok, so CFLAGS are respected.  Excellent.

So much for that *example*.  Now please inspect other parts of §10.1.
And when done, please inspect Debian Policy §10.2 too.

(I want you to think for yourself, not just follow my specific
instructions, so deliberately mention no examples this time!).

>> What else changed during build? Did distutils rules get invoked at
>> all? If it did, where did it install its files (hint: probably
>> somewhere below debian/tmp)?
>>

>Yes, in debian/tmp/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/rainbow.

Great.  So the files _are_ installed by distutils.mk, they are just not
picked up properly by dh_install afterwards.

Did you snip my suggested next move because you disagreed with it,
because you found it irrelevant, because it didn't work or just
accidentally?

  - Jonas