[Debian-olpc-devel] 'rainbow' uploaded to mentors.debian.net

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Wed Nov 18 20:43:02 UTC 2009

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 01:19:42PM -0500, Luke Faraone wrote:
>On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 12:51, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:
>
>> So much for that *example*.  Now please inspect other parts of §10.1.
>> And when done, please inspect Debian Policy §10.2 too.
>>

>I reviewed DP §10.1 and §10.1.2, and my package appears to be compliant
>with it.

What is your opinion on the recommendation in §10.1?

>> Did you snip my suggested next move because you disagreed with it,
>> because you found it irrelevant, because it didn't work or just
>> accidentally?
>

>I tried it, (adding "DEB_PYTHON_DESTDIR = $(CURDIR)/debian/$(cdbs_curpkg)")
>it produced the same results as before. I'm using pysupport, by the way.

Thanks for clarifying.

I see now that you are right - distutils.mk do not install into python-*
packages.  And I remember why: The way I wrote distutils.mk in 2003 it
installed into python-* packages, but that behaviour changed when
extended (in a hurry, it felt to me) by others to support Python Policy
v2. The original behaviour was kept in my local branch of distutils.mk
forked to continue supporting both v1 and v2 (as v1 was broken by those
changes too) and later improved to handle compilations for multiple
versions of Python in same binary package. I use my own improved
distutils.mk for all my Python packaging needs, so I forgot the
brokenness (which is too late to fix by now) of the standard one.

Oh - some additional issues:

The scripts seem to not follow Debian Python Policy §1.3.2.

NSS library should probably be installed in /lib and only symlinked from
/usr/lib similar to other NSS libraries.

Regards,

  - Jonas