[Debian-olpc-devel] Missing deps for sucrose-0.86.

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Sat Nov 28 22:34:06 UTC 2009

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 10:50:19PM +0100, Sascha Silbe wrote:
>On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 10:07:50PM +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>
>>As the things you've tested are not debian-packaged, there is no
>>sane  way to "fix" those dependency problems, however.
>Upstream has defined the so called "Sugar Platform" [1] so activity
>authors have a set of dependencies they can rely on. It probably
>makes sense for Debian to provide a "meta" / "virtual" package
>(sorry, don't know how Debian calls them - just dependencies, no
>content) that depends on all the packages on the list (+ Glucose and
>maybe Fructose).

I am aware of the upstream "Sugar Platform" page - but thanks anyway for
bringing it up here.

Please note that comparing the list of missing dependencies provided by
Michael Stone with the "components" listed in the "Sugar Platform" page,
only EToys is missing.

When packages are getting packaged for Debian, their dependencies will
be handled as well.  And when all packages part of Sucrose is packaged,
the current suggests of sucrose-0.8x packages will be raised to depends,
as that package will then act as the Debian official way to install "all
of core Sugar".

As an example, python-evince will get pulled in by official
python-read-activity, and next Debian packaging release of sucrose-0.8x
should tighten depdendency on that as well.

Hope that makes sense.

  - Jonas

P.S.

In Debian-speak a "virtual package" is a package not existing at all,
only "Provided:" by other packages as a mechanism for other packages to
depend on something provided by multiple packages.

A "meta-package" is what you want to refer to here: an existing package
containing (almost) no content, only dependencies on other packages.

A "transitional package" also exists, contains only dependencies - but
have the different purpose of only acting as a, well, transition to
ensure that users with the old package installed get the renamed package
pulled in.