[Debian-olpc-devel] 'rainbow' uploaded to mentors.debian.net

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Sun Nov 29 20:22:49 UTC 2009

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 12:17:45PM -0500, Luke Faraone wrote:
>Jonas,
>
>If you sent something in reply, it must have been lost somewhere. What
>should I do to move forward?

No, no earlier response from me is missing.

I simply got engaged with a bunch of other pending work.

Generally I have a hard time keeping up my spirit helping with this
packaging - which you may have felt by my being quite sceptical by eny
little detail in the packaging.

I really really want more developers to gain interest in packaging Sugar
packages for Debian (and through Debian for all other Debian-derived
distros).

Sugar is not my only passion, however, and when work is not fun I
tend to move on to other more fun tasks.

With Sugar packaging, and particularly with your interest in Sugar
packaging, I have several times recommended to start out with *simple*
Sugar *activities*.

Rainbow is *not* simple, and is *not* a Sugar activity.

If you want to continue packaging this very relevant but not easiest to
package piece of code, then please find other Debian developers to help
you do it.  I want Rainbow in Debian, but want core parts in first, so
only get frustrated working on it now while there are still low-hanging
fruits pending.

I am still very interested in helping anyone packaging classic straight
Python-based Sugar activities.

And I still welcome anyone to package whatever Sugar-related code that
they want in whatever packaging style they want - just do not expect
me to be very engaged in such efforts.

Kind regards,

  - Jonas

P.S.

It would be nice if you drop a note to this list when you blog about it.