[Debian-olpc-devel] 'rainbow' uploaded to mentors.debian.net

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Mon Nov 30 12:23:11 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 03:16:02PM +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

>I understand now.  Seems to make sense - I just fear that NSS modules
>might have some unique peculiarities...

I still believe using version numbers are wrong, as they are not normal
shared libraries but more "plugins".  See a related discussion here:
http://bugs.debian.org/558719

Oh, and arguing that 2 other NSS packages (out of, it seems, 9) use
version numbers do not make it "right" - it could very well be that
those two modules are wrong or perhaps that they work around being
misinterpreted as shared libraries in other ways.

You have chosen to package something complicated.  Which requires you(!)
to gain knowledge in complicated areas.  You can't just expect to mirror
work of others - even after the packaging is "done" you will need to
_maintain_ it, meaning that if later on problems are discovered (e.g.
lintian is tightened and it is discovered that you treat the code as a
shared library when it is a plugin) and you will have to understand
matters then to be able to act on bugreports.

Kind regards,

  - Jonas