[Debian-olpc-devel] Packaging eLearning XHTML editor (eXe) for debian

Mike Dawson mike at paiwastoon.com.af
Thu Aug 5 08:58:43 UTC 2010

Hi All,

Actually if one downloads the source version of eXeLearning it has
everything needed to build the .deb packages - I'm not myself that
familiar with debian packaging.

Please note these gotcha's though:

1. Make sure to adjust the build file for packaging for Python2.6  -
Python2.5 has been dropped from the latest version of Ubuntu amongst
others AFAIK

2. There was a change in the naming of the package python-zopeinterface
- this varies between different versions of Ubuntu.  To make the package
install on either you need to modify the control file:

python-zope.interface (>=3.0.0-6) | python-zopeinterface (>=3.0.0-6)

I have put a fair few additions (extra idevices etc) and published them
on a sourceforge project linked from www.paiwastoon.af/eldep - though I
haven't yet got these upstream.

3. There is sometimes a compatability problem between exe and Firefox
3.5 - this has been documented / can be googled.  The workaround at the
moment is to download firefox 3.0 and then change the configuration
manually.  I found with the python2.6 build and using Firefox 3.6 I get
the Firefox menu that shouldn't appear however it does start / access
the system as it should.

Please don't hesitate to contact me for further assistance.

Hope that helps,

Regards,

-Mike