[Debian-olpc-devel] Bogus dependencies

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Tue Aug 24 12:50:32 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I just discovered that multiple packages bogusly depend on python-cjson.

It seems that a full list of dependencies have been duplicated across
multiple packages without verifying if they match actual needs.

This is BAD!

Please do not use skeleton files and patterns before you know how to
work without them.

Please do not use skeleton files and patterns without thinking
carefully.

No, I deliberately do not tell which exact packages I discovered these
errors in: Please go double-check *all* packages if you are not fully
certain that you indeed know that package relations are correct.

For Python code, you really need to read all code looking for "import"
statements to understand what is required at build- and runtime.

A danger of using skeleton files and patterns is that flaws in their use
are much harder to detect than typos and similar manual errors -
especially when using pattern-based routines like lintian.

Kind regards,

  - Jonas