[Debian-olpc-devel] List of tasks to be done (was: Re: maintaining squeak and friends)

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Wed Jan 27 20:38:42 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 08:48:57PM +0100, Siegfried-Angel Gevatter Pujals wrote:
>2010/1/27 Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk>:
>> So if you don't care then I suggest I "invade" your nice tight
>> packaging with my complex CDBS addons. You can then leave those CDBS
>> parts to me, or if interested then I shall enjoy guiding you into the
>> world of CDBS.
>
>Fine by me, feel free to change the packages as you want :).

Excellent!

>Actually, most of my packages use CDBS, but I like dh7 more and tend
>to use it for any new packages I create now. However, I see you have
>some nice stuff (eg. copyright-check.mk) and if that's what everyone
>else here is using I have no problem with doing the same.

Thing is *you* are more or less the "everyone else" around here ;-)

But you've implicitly answered my key question: You do not deliberately
want to _avoid_ CDBS and am fine with using that too.  :-)

>By the way, wouldn't it be more practical to have those CDBS rules
>(and maybe also the scripts lying around on the wiki) in a common
>"sugar-packaging-tools" package?

I maintain officially a Debian package called "cdbs" which is the most
suitable place for them ;-)

Historically a stupid misunderstanding[1] lead me to virtually fork CDBS
for several years.  I am merging my improvements, but it is a slow
process.

Currently there are three layers of cdbs:

  1. cdbs package (/usr/share/cdbs/*)
  2. cdbs-skel (branch of git://git.debian.org/collab-maint/cdbs-skel)
  3. local snippets (debian/cdbs/* not pulled from cdbs-skel branch)

Currently I merge 3 into 2 and 2 into 1 - both done concurrently.

The goal is to get rid of cdbs-skel, and only use local snippets for
short-lived hacks or experiments.

Thanks for reading this far. Hope it made (somewhat) sense. :-)

  - Jonas

[1] Some commits of mine to cdbs were rejected, and I misread that email
as my changes (which I had worked hard on for some time) was not wanted.
Rereading that email several years later (me growing more experienced
with VCSes in the meantime) I realized that indeed committing massive
changes as a single commit, even if well tested, was unacceptable.