[Debian-olpc-devel] sugar-terminal-activity troubles

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Thu Jul 1 20:28:15 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 01, 2010 at 12:58:26PM -0400, Luke Faraone wrote:

>> An unlrelated bug I discovered is that you build-depend on the
>> virtual package python-sugar-toolkit which works for pbuilder but not
>> buildd - and more importantly is a Debian Policy violation: You need
>> to instead build-depend on a real package (and optionally add a
>> fallback on the virtual package, which is recommended as it will ease
>> backporting):
>>
>> Build-Depends: [...], python-sugar-toolkit-0.88 |
>> python-sugar-toolkit
>
>Yes. I solved this by adding "DEB_SUGAR_BRANCHES"[1] to debian/rules. I
>read /usr/share/cdbs/1/class/python-sugar.mk, which said:
>> # Space-delimited list of supported branches, lowest listed first
>> # (comment out if all current branches are supported)
>> # NB! This variable must be declared *above* inclusion of this snippet
>> #DEB_SUGAR_BRANCHES = 0.84 0.86
>
>Since it said "comment out if all current branches are supported", I
>didn't include it. Should I file a bug saying something similar to "If
>DEB_SUGAR_BRANCHES is not defined, assume all branches"?

No, I believe there is no bug in the python-sugar.mk snippet.

You changed from branch-independent to only supporting 0.86 and 0.88
branches.  Please, if it is really not supported for 0.84 then rename
the binary package to include the first supported version:
sugar-terminal-activity-0.86, and also consider package the latest
version of Terminal which is supported for 0.84.  I am aware that Ubuntu
most probably only track a limited set of branches, but it is ugly if we
have different maintainers for different versions of same activities.

If Terminal 28 really is supported also for (the Debian packaging of)
Sugar 0.84 and you did the change only as a hack to have the
python-sugar.mk generate Policy compliant build-dependency, however,
then please don't!

python-sugar.mk does not ensure Policy-compliant build-dependencies.  It
only provides some helper routines.  You declared the build-dependencies
yourself with the following line in debian/rules:

CDBS_DEPENDS = $(call cdbs_sugar_anybranchdeps,python-sugar python-sugar-toolkit)

For a branch-independent activity you need no branch expansion, so could
instead do something like this:

CDBS_DEPENDS = python-sugar, python-sugar-toolkit-0.88 | python-sugar-toolkit

  - Jonas