[Debian-olpc-devel] Problem while updating sugar-read-activity

Jonas Smedegaard jonas at jones.dk
Fri Jul 23 17:48:46 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 10:23:38PM +0530, Kandarp Kaushik wrote:
>Thanks for letting me know the steps required to update a package in
>case it fails to merge with the upstream release.
>
>I followed the steps and was able to successfully run them and execute
>what they were intended to do.
>There was a small change* in the first step though :
>
>        $ git checkout -b v87 reset-upstream-to-v87
>        fatal: git checkout: updating paths is incompatible with
>switching branches.
>        Did you intend to checkout 'reset-upstream-to-v87' which can
>not be resolved as commit?
>
>while
>        $ git checkout -b reset-upstream-to-v87 v87
>worked.
>*in case others are following our conversation.

Oh.  I took a chance and wrote without verifying that it actually
worked.  Good that you figured it out and succeeded the merge.  And even
better that you shared your findings :-)

Would be nice if someone grabbed the most recently updated README.Source
(not sure if it was from the sugar or the sugar-core package - I believe
I posted an update here a month or two ago) and put it on a wiki page of
its own below http://wiki.debian.org/Sugar somewhere - and extend the
text with this more seldomly needed but then quite helpful routine.

Then we can refer to that wiki page in README.Source of all
Sugar-related packages, instead of duplicating the files as I have done
in the past :-)

  - Jonas