[Debian-olpc-devel] Problem while updating sugar-speak-activity

Luke Faraone luke at faraone.cc
Mon Jul 26 03:48:40 UTC 2010

This question is perhaps better suited to the Debian OLPC list, please
drop SugarTeam from CC in future mails.

On Jul 25, 2010, at 13:58, Kandarp Kaushik <kandarp at seeta.in> wrote:

> Hello,
> I was trying to package sugar-speak-activity and faced the following issues:
>

> 1) $ gbp-clone git+ssh://git.debian.org/git/collab-maint/sugar-speak-activity.git
>          Initialized empty Git repository in
> /home/kandarp/git_local_repo/speak/sugar-speak-activity/.git/
>          Enter passphrase for key '/home/kandarp/.ssh/id_rsa':
>          remote: Counting objects: 141, done.
>          remote: Compressing objects: 100% (88/88), done.
>          remote: Total 141 (delta 51), reused 134 (delta 48)
>          Receiving objects: 100% (141/141), 1.99 MiB | 67 KiB/s, done.
>          Resolving deltas: 100% (51/51), done.
>
> On cloning the repo., upstream branch wasn't present and only the
> master branch was there.
> Created branch upstream manually.
>

> 2) $ git merge v16 failed, had to reset the upstream branch.
>

> 3) debian folder had the following files:
> changelog  compat  control  copyright  rules  watch
>
> tried to regenerate debian/control after creating debian/control.in using:
> $ DEB_MAINTAINER_MODE=1 fakeroot debian/rules clean
>
> OUTPUT:
>
>      dh clean
>         dh_testdir
>         debian/rules override_dh_auto_clean
>      make[1]: Entering directory
> `/home/kandarp/git_local_repo/speak/sugar-speak-activity'
>      rm -rf /home/kandarp/git_local_repo/speak/sugar-speak-activity/locale
> /home/kandarp/git_local_repo/speak/sugar-speak-activity/MANIFEST
>      [ ! -d /home/kandarp/git_local_repo/speak/sugar-speak-activity/.git
> ] || git checkout locale
>      dh_clean
>      make[1]: Leaving directory
> `/home/kandarp/git_local_repo/speak/sugar-speak-activity'
>         dh_clean
>

> *debian/control was not regenerated.
>
> debian/rules file had:
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> #!/usr/bin/make -f
>
> USRDIR=$(CURDIR)/debian/sugar-speak-activity/usr/
>
> %:
>    dh $@
>
> override_dh_auto_install:
>    $(PYTHON) $(CURDIR)/setup.py install --prefix=$(USRDIR)
>    rm -f $(USRDIR)/share/sugar/activities/Speak.activity/COPYING \
>        $(USRDIR)/share/sugar/activities/Speak.activity/port/COPYING \
>        $(USRDIR)/share/sugar/activities/Speak.activity/bot/*/setup.py
>
> override_dh_auto_clean:
>    rm -rf $(CURDIR)/locale $(CURDIR)/MANIFEST
>    [ ! -d $(CURDIR)/.git ] || git checkout locale
>    dh_clean
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>

> Please let me know what steps are necessary to complete the packaging
> of sugar-speak-activity.
>
> Regards,
> Kandarp.
>
> PS: I believe some changes in debian/rules are required, but am not
> knowledgeable enough to do that.

Speak was originally packaged by Siegfried-Angel Gevatter Pujals, aka
RainCT. I asked him earlier about other activities he had packaged, and
he gave the go-ahead to take then over. I'm CCing him now to see whether
that is also okay for Speak.

I'd advise repackaging Speak importing with pristine-tar etc and
starting work from there.

Most of the issues you encountered (non-git related, that is) are
because Speak uses debhelper directly. I recommend adapting it to use CDBS.

- --
Luke Faraone
http://luke.faraone.cc