[Debian-olpc-devel] New version of APL programming language under GPL3

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 05:14:13 UTC 2011

The last language designed by Ken Iverson, inventor of APL, is called
J. Iverson's son Eric recently put it under GPL3, and is putting
Iverson's math books in APL under Creative Commons-BY-SA. Some APLers
are working on creating a Debian package of J, with sample programs,
documentation, and the like.

The other APL to be put into Free Software, Aplus by Arthur Whitney,
is now old and moldy, and will not run. It should really be removed.

I will be working on getting Iverson's math books translated to J, and
writing other tutorial material on the language and on integrating it
into school subjects for the One Laptop Per Child program. Anyone
interested in using J checking out the source code, helping with
packaging, or helping with education in J, should look at

http://www.jsoftware.com/

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/APL

http://replacingtextbooks.wordpress.com/2011/07/26/another-programming-language-for-sugar/