[Debian-olpc-devel] [Sugar-devel] Can we be a little more friendly to Ubuntu users

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-reply-to-2012-2 at silbe.org
Mon Feb 27 11:09:11 UTC 2012

Excerpts from Edward Mokurai Cherlin's message of 2012-02-27 03:08:42 +0100:

[pulling in debian-olpc-devel where the Debian efforts to package Sugar
are coordinated]

> The big picture answer, apart from instructions for non-standard
> installations from non-standard repositories, is to work with the
> Debian and Ubuntu packagers to streamline the packaging of new Sugar
> releases in order to get them into the upgrade stream in a timely
> manner. If somebody involved in the process can explain exactly what
> is needed, I expect that we can recruit some more helpers. (Similarly
> for RPM packaging for Red Hat and other distributions that use that
> format.)

On Debian, Sugar is several releases behind (0.90, which has a severely
broken Collaboration stack, is the latest offer). That should be fixed;
the best way to get efforts going again is to show the people involved
(especially Jonas Smedegaard) that there's real interest from users in
(packaged) Sugar on Debian.

On Ubuntu, the situation is worse (and has been for about 3 years [1])
and not as easy to fix. Apart from "normal" bugs that impact Sugar (e.g.
Xephyr doesn't work [2], breaking sugar-emulator), they completely
dropped the python-xpcom package [3], breaking Browse. But as Browse is
in the process of moving to WebkitGTK [4], there's finally a chance to
have a non-crippled Sugar on Ubuntu in a not too distant future.

Sascha

[1] https://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/729
[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/325706
[3] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/480407/+index