About Debian Science Policy Manual

Manuel Prinz debian at pinguinkiste.de
Wed Aug 13 08:55:55 UTC 2008

Hi Frederic!

Am Dienstag, den 12.08.2008, 22:35 +0200 schrieb Frederic Lehobey:
>   I have not been involved in policy discussion so far as I am still
> very new to git (my experience until last week was mainly with arch
> and mercurial and a little of darcs).

I've seen your work on that and really appreciate it!

> [...] [the workflow] is closer to the maintenance practice
> described here:
> https://penta.debconf.org/dc8_schedule/events/233.en.html (video
> should be available soon). Even though the maintenance described by
> Martin F. Krafft might be seen a bit complicated, I advocate being as
> close to it or as compatible as possible with it, as its main goal is
> being able to share patches and repositories with other distributions.

Unfortunately, I was not able to attend DebConf this year but I'm really
looking forward to Martin's talk being available. I guess he is
proposing the workflow that he also described on his blog. I do not find
it complicated, it's pretty close to my own workflow with Git.

>   I think debian-science is a future target user of the vcs-pkg tool
> that is currently being designed there http://vcs-pkg.org.

Sure. I do follow the list and there are a lot of interesting things
going on, especially with TopGit. But I do want to experiment with a
little more before we propose it for policy. Currently I'm back from a
short trip and need to catch up with work.

>   The communities around scientific tools are small and I think it
> would be awesome to share patches with other packagers of scientific
> software like FreeBSD, Fedora (I am thinking of Scientific Linux
> distribution for example) or Mandriva.

ACK.

Best regards
Manuel