Preparing Poly/ML

Achim D. Brucker brucker at spamfence.net
Fri Aug 15 21:54:27 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 12:53:46PM +0200, Sylvestre Ledru wrote:
> Please use the debian-science-maintainers instead of debian-science on
> this ;)

good point.

> They are pretty straightforward but don't hesitate if you have
> questions ;)

I have only one question regarding a point I already was unsure while
preparing the package: You've "downgraded" the package version to
"5.2-1" which, one the one hand, seems to be obvious choice as it is the
first official Debian package. On the other hand, the versions
5.2.-[123] where already available unofficially from my
website. Therefore, I decided to increase the Debian revision.

Of course, there are good reasons for both decisions:
- the official package version starts 5.2-1 then users that already
  installed the unofficial packages will not receive new one from the
  official Debian archive.
- starting the official package with a Debian revision of "4" looks
  weird and may confuse users.

Is there any policy or best practice regarding this situation?

Thanks,
	Achim